The White Sox Suck Right Now
They've managed two runs in the last 3 games. They lost a game in which the pitching staff one-hit the Indians. They keep finding ways to lose. It's times like these I'm glad I can't watch the Sox on TV this year. Wait, what's that you say? It's only been three games? OK, fine. Three games doesn't warrant reaching for the panic button.
In fact, there are more than a few bright spots:
1. The bullpen has looked only slightly less than stellar--David Aardsma leads the team with 15 strikeouts. Wait... is that a bad thing?
2. John Danks has looked like a more than serviceable fifth starter. Unfortunately, he looks better than Jose Contreras has (10 walks in 12 innings).
3. Now that Pods has landed on the DL with the same old groin/adductor injury, at least Ozzie won't be able to pinch-hit him for Uribe (currently leading the team in RBIs and HRs from the seven-hole) in the last half-inning of a 2-1 loss to the Indians. And Ozzie won't be able to refuse defensively replacing Pods and his noodle-arm/comic ineptness for late-inning situations, leading to a ball bouncing off his head in left field to lose a game in the ninth (seriously). And maybe Brian Anderson will see more playing time. But probably not.
4. Iguchi is now back in the #2 spot in the order, where he should've been all along. And Erstad is leading off. Wait, you don't want someone with a .262 on-base percentage leading off? Too bad. Because that's what you've got.
5. If the Sox keep losing by more than 4 runs, I won't have to listen to Ed Farmer tell me that a homerun will tie the game or put the Sox in the lead. If you thought Hawk and DJ's announcing was asinine, at least it's entertainingly/endearingly asinine and not infuriatingly asinine. Believe me, Ed, when there's a runner on and the Sox are down by 2, I can figure out for myself that a homer will tie it. As enlightening as that observation is, I'd rather not hear it five times a game.
6. The boys have still got some (delusional?) swag. Jon Garland: "I think we have the best team in the American League, bar none."
Pennants aren't won in April, but you can sure as hell lose them. So here's hoping you stop digging that hole soon, guys.